Thursday, August 30, 2018

Fiat 500 Based Micro Cars?

Like the post I had on old cars brought back and built on the Mazda MX5 Miata platform, I think there are older micro cars that could be brought back, updated (like the older Fiat 500 that was updated with the newer Fiat 500 and the older Mini Cooper updated with the newer Mini Cooper). Since the updated Mini Cooper and Fiat 500 are bigger and safer than the original, any older micro car would also be bigger and safer. It would be like platform sharing that some cars (past and present have done or are doing). 
One can take a Fiat 500 line drawing and adapt the older micro car design to it. It could share the same platform but just add a body to it. I have read of past companies that made the platform and a separate company that made the body; called a 'coach works' if I recall correctly (it made for some interesting designs and some unique ones). 

I think one older micro car that could be brought back and made new would be the Goggomobil. There are a couple that might fit on the Fiat 500 platform even if it is updated (like the newer 500 compared to the older 500). 



I think another older micro car that would be cool to be brought back is the Vespa 400. It is a neat design. It seems the vehicle in Despicable Me 2 could be based on it? It looks like the car that the A.V..L. (Anti Villain League) agent drove. 
It would be cool if the Vespa company saw this and made this (even if it is just a one off as an anniversary vehicle).

I was thinking the King Midget Mark 3 (or the newer design that never got made) would be great on the 500 platform (or perhaps on the Cooper platform - another blog).
This is the scanned image from a magazine that had an article on King Midget. I guess it could be sold as the model 4. 
Here is the King Midget model 3.

Another possible car would be the Subaru 360. It is a small car made by Subaru many years ago. It could be their re-entry into the modern micro car market (neat to think out loud). Of course the styling would be a little different but it would be styled after or inspired by the older micro car. 
Here is the Subaru 360. 

There are others at Micro Cars site that could be updated and built on this platform. I guess it would only depend on ones imagination and having a lot of money (I doubt it would be cheap but it could make for a really cool hobby). 



This is just me thinking out loud. I like to think 'what if?'. I have lots of ideas like this that never came about but it is a joy to me to think of them. There are some that I think would be cool if someone actually worked on my idea. It would be really cool if one or some came to fruition, even if it meant not getting any credit. As Ronald Reagan once said (I hope I am getting this correct), 'it is amazing what you can get done if you don't care who gets the credit'. 






No comments:

Post a Comment